The Donegal Youth Service is managed by a voluntary Board of Directors. The Board is made up of volunteers from the youth and community sector and interested parties with specialisms in law, management, finance, education, disadvantage, employment and youth. DYS actively encourage youth participation at Board level.
Board members are duly nominated and elected at the Annual General Meeting usually held in April or May. It is a policy of DYS that one third of the Board stand down each year to allow for new people coming on board. Once elected the Companies Office is informed of the new Directors and of any resignations, to keep in line with best practice and Company Law. Board member’s personal details are lodged with the Companies Office as well as any other Directorships they are involved in.
The Officer positions are Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Treasurer and Company Secretary.
The Board is subdivided into sub groups (Committees) to deal with Finance, Staffing, Policy and the Donegal Youth Service Community Employment Scheme. From time to time sub groups are formed to deal with a specific issue – these may operate on a short term basis – once an issue is resolved the subgroup is dissolved.
Board meetings are held every month (except August) with Finance Committee meetings prior to the Board meeting.
For the year 2015 the Board of Directors of Donegal Youth Service is:
- Chairperson: Marina Carlin – Marina’s background is in education . Marina works as a Teacher in Buncrana Secondary School.
- Vice Chairperson: Frank Dooley: Frank is a retired secondary school principal.
- Treasurer: Paul Mc Cusker – Paul’s background is in education too. He is a Lecturer in Business Studies in Letterkenny Institute of Technology.
- Company Secretary: Ciaran Maguire- Ciaran’s background is in the voluntary sector and he is the longest serving board member with over 25 years of service. He is the Manager of the St Vincent De Paul Centre for Homeless people in Letterkenny.
- Director Paul Kernan: Paul’s background is in the community sector. He is the Coordinator of the Yard Centre in Falcarragh.
- Director Brid Foley: Brid’s background is in the community sector. Brid is the Coordinator of the Lifford /Clonleigh Resource Centre.
- Director Frank Larkin is a disability activist.
- Director John Byrne: John is a board member with a background in the community sector and John has served on the Board for 2 years. He is a self- employed businessman with a specialism in computers.
- Director Nickiela Martin: Nickiela is a board member. She is a full time student in GMIT and has served on the Board for 2 years and is currently working in Lough Eske Castle as an Intern.
- Director Sean Noonan is a school completion officer in Inishowen.
The Donegal Youth Service actively encourages people to serve on the voluntary Board and is happy to receive nominations or applications for co-option at any time. All DYS Board members are subject to Garda Vetting and are required to take Child Protection Training as part of their induction/personal development training.